HVAC flue pipe accidentally disconnected due to roof workers in Shreveport Bossier 2

Flue pipe accidentally disconnected during roof replacement.

Here in Shreveport-Bossier, we’ve all been battling some wild storms lately. While downed trees and power outages are a nuisance, they can also lead to hidden dangers in your home. One such danger lurks within your heating system, and it’s crucial to be aware of it, especially after roof repairs.

Roof Repairs and the Carbon Monoxide Threat

If your roof recently sustained storm damage and required repairs, you might be at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. Here’s why:

  • Flue Pipe Vulnerability: Many homes have furnaces or water heaters that vent their exhaust through the roof via a flue pipe. During repairs, there’s a chance this pipe could get bumped loose or disconnected.

  • Silent Killer: Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas that can be deadly. If the flue pipe is compromised, CO can leak back into your home instead of venting outside.

HVAC flue pipe accidentally disconnected due to roof workers in Shreveport Bossier

Pipe back in it’s place thanks to our technician Brian.

Protect Your Family from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Here’s what you can do to minimize the risk of CO poisoning after roof repairs:

  • Visual Inspection: Before turning on your furnace for the season, take a look around your roof’s exterior (safety first! Use a ladder and a spotter if needed) to ensure the flue pipe is securely fastened and hasn’t been damaged.

  • Call a Qualified Technician: If you notice any issues with the flue pipe, don’t attempt to fix it yourself. Contact a licensed HVAC technician to inspect and repair the pipe properly.

  • Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors: Having CO detectors on every floor of your home, including the basement, is crucial. These alarms will alert you to the presence of carbon monoxide, giving you time to evacuate your home and call 911.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms: Be Aware

Early detection is key to preventing CO poisoning. Here are some warning signs to be aware of:

  • Headache

  • Dizziness

  • Nausea or vomiting

  • Fatigue

  • Shortness of breath

  • Confusion

If you experience any of these symptoms while at home, evacuate immediately and call 911. Symptoms can appear in different ways, so it’s important to err on the side of caution if you suspect CO poisoning.

Peace of Mind Next Heating Season

At Advanced Air Conditioning and Heating, your safety is our priority. We understand the dangers associated with CO poisoning, especially after storm-related roof repairs.

  • Preventative Maintenance: Schedule a fall maintenance checkup with our certified technicians. We’ll thoroughly inspect your heating system, including the flue pipe, to ensure everything is functioning safely and efficiently.

  • 24/7 Emergency Service: If you suspect a CO leak or have any concerns about your heating system, don’t hesitate to call us. We offer 24/7 emergency service for your peace of mind.

Don’t let storm damage turn into a health hazard. By taking these precautions and partnering with Advanced Air Conditioning and Heating, you can keep your Shreveport-Bossier home safe and warm all season long.